Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Perth v2

The last two weeks have been both good and bad. As I mentioned in my previous blog post we wanted to find work in Perth. The process has been long and disappointing. We thought we had a possibility at the Caltex petrol station where Krista works, but it ultimately didn't work out. We also got close on an apple packing job, but we where unlucky there as well. It has been very frustrating. In the end we have decided to keep traveling with the little money we have left and hope to find something along the west coast as we head north.

We have been doing other things than just looking for work. We have visited the Art Gallery and Kings Park again and a few new beaches just north of Perth city. Scarborough beach looked like a good surfing beach although not the best for swimming, we preferred city beach just a few minutes south by car. Personally the beaches on the east coast are still much better than the ones around Perth. But I have been told that there are some amazing beaches further north and south!

On the way back from Scarborough beach we drove past IKEA and decided to stop and have lunch. We had Swedish meatballs (kjøttboller), brown sauce, and lingonberry jam. It was amazing! I had no idea I missed Nordic food this much. Especially the sauce and the lingonberry jam. After the lunch we walked through the display hall. On the way out I had to buy some more food from the retail section. Candy shoelaces, DAIM chocolate, fried onions and crackers. This is items I haven't been able to find anywhere else and it was awesome to eat it again!



About an hour north of Perth is a place called "The Maze". It's an "amusement park" with mazes, animals and minigolf. I have always loved mazes and this is what attracted me. They have one huge maze, and many smaller mazes. The big one was especially good. You can really get stuck inside. At the end of the maze there is an observation tower that you can climb and watch everybody else that is stuck. We also played minigolf and disc golf (basically a Frisbee that you throw towards a "hole"). In the end we played a match of gigantic chess! The Maze is not really an amusement park, but it's still good fun and worth the money. We both had a fun day!

As I mentioned in my previous blog post Karsten, one of Krista's sons, plays in a band. It so happened that they had a community concert one of the days we were here, so we grabbed the opportunity to go and watch them. The concert consisted of several different local bands from the Armadale suburb of Perth (where the concert was held as well) with people ageing from ca. 12 to 20. His band plays happy hardcore and is called "Boris kills Hugo". A mix of punk, metal and heavy metal. It was nice to get the opportunity to watch him play.

On the 16th of April Navarre turned 17. We celebrated by going to Tony's house and having a BBQ. Tony and his wife owns the Caltex station where Krista works and is also a close family friend. They have a gorgeous house in the Perth hills with an amazing view of the city. We spent the day swimming in their pool, drinking beer and eating BBQ and cake.

In our spare time me and Annina have been playing a new game I gave her, Sims 3. I remember playing the first Sims a long time ago and it was easy to get into the third installment. Annina is a big fan of the Sims games like so many others. We have also been watching a show called FlashForward. I don't know if it's known in Norway yet but it should be familiar to my American readers that watch TV. Anyways, we are both addicted to it and watched all the available episodes in about 3 days.

At the time of writing this I am sitting in the Top family house for the last time. Today we will start traveling again and my next update will be from the road most likely. I don't know how often I will have the opportunity to post, but expect a two week period like it has been for a while now. Hope everyone at home is well and doing good. I miss you all.

3 comments:

  1. Vi savner deg også! Virker som om du har det bra, da. Håper dere klarer å finne en jobb, hvis ikke kommer det helt sikkert til å gå greit uansett : ) Kozer fra Runa og Alex!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought the W&T company were supposed to help you with jobs. Is that just in Sidney? Good luck along the way. Hope you do find something. What about farm work. I thought farmers always need a hand with something...

    ReplyDelete
  3. W&T company mostly helps out on the east coast. We will be keeping an eye out for work as we travel.

    ReplyDelete